15 Days To Freedom Blog Challenge

15 Days to Freedom Blog Challenge - Day 7 - Final Fantasy Wedding Cake

12:00

Day 7 and I am on a roll! Today I am going to share this super Final Fantasy themed wedding cake I made in March for a lovely couple who got married in Egypt Mill,  Nailsworth.


Final Fantasy Themed Wedding cake



The couple first approached me about two years ago and we met for a tasting consultation at my old bakery, where together we designed their dream wedding cake. I thought it was a fantastic idea as it was so personal to them.

Fast forward to now, and wow, that two years went by fast! At the beginning of March 2015 it suddenly dawned on me that this cake will be quite a challenge! I had previously sketched the design so I studied that hard,  and then went on my journey of ordering and purchasing all the ingredients and equipment needed.

I started the modelling process seven days before the wedding day. Using homemade rice crispy treats, white chocolate, lots of dowels and sugarpaste I created the mushroom tree trunk house which I was very happy with. Then over the next couple of days I went on to make the wild flowers and the two Moggie figures. By this time it was three days until the cake was required so I got on with the baking process. The couple opted for a Poppy Seed and Lemon Drizzle cake for the bottom tier and a Orange Blossom Drizzle cake for the top. The also ordered a Battenburg, tray of Triple Chocolate Brownies, a small Rich Fruit Cake  and a tray of Bakewell Tart. So there was quite a lot to do.



After the baking, I coated the two tiers with white chocolate ganache to protect them and make sure that they held their shape. Once set I then stacked the cakes and whipped up some green buttercream, which I then lovingly applied to the cake. The cake was finished with the decorations and I then stood back to admire my work. However, I wasn't happy, something was not quite right, and I couldn't put my finger on it.  I thought the best thing to do it leave it for a couple of hours and come back to it.

I came back a couple of hours later and realised the buttercream was just too dark and too green, and getting darker and green by the minute!  I was not at all happy with it. So I painstakingly removed all the decorations and the dark green buttercream. And started the decoration process again, I whipped up a fresh batch of pale green buttercream, lovingly applied and reattached the wildflowers and tree trunk. I even had to make a few extra wild flowers as some had got damaged in the removal stage.

I am 100% happy that I that that, as it completely changed the look of the cake. The pale green buttercream, made it look romantic and pretty,  and perfect for a spring wedding.

The cake was safely delivered and I received a wonderful testimonial from the couple a few days later. I absolutely loved making this cake, it was a fantastic challenge.


The Wonderful Testimonial

Please feel free to leave a comment below.

Best wishes,

Pia x








You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE






Like us on Facebook